The recent Local Search Summit in San Diego afforded clients and special guests of Rio SEO an exclusive opportunity. Together, we explored the shifting local landscape with the guidance and insight of industry experts. Speakers included Greg Sterling from the Local Search Association, Forrester analyst Jennifer Wise and Google’s Willys DeVoll. Each shared top quality content on the most important and impactful local considerations facing marketers today.
It was an information-packed event with a wealth of actionable local search optimization takeaways. But it also gave participants a look at the most recent, relevant data and figures driving local customer engagement marketing across the country. Here are 10 powerful mobile and local marketing stats shared at #LSS2016.
Mobile and Local Marketing Stats:
- More than 90% of retail spend still happens in stores. In addition, 70% of consumer spending takes place within 15-20 miles of home or work. There was $4.8 trillion spent in-store vs. $300 billion online in 2015. – Greg Sterling, VP of Strategy & Insights of Local Search Association
- Americans love mobile, with 70% of US adults today owning a mobile device. They spend 66 hours and 56 minutes a month on their mobile device. They spend that time in 26 apps and on 52 websites. – Jennifer Wise, senior analyst on the marketing team at Forrester Research
- U.S. local advertising revenues will exceed $146 billion in 2016. Additionally, 40% of that will be spent by national brands to localize their campaigns. – Kyle Johnston, Gigasavvy
- Snapchat now has over 100 million daily users, 65% of whom contribute daily content. It’s evolved from an instant-delete platform to a place where users can create a narrative. Moreover, 36% of Americans 18-29 now have an account. – Joel Comm, author, speaker and social media marketing expert
- Discovery searches account for 70% of searches, yet these pages are not being amplified properly. Category and locator level pages typically lack unlinked content, freshness, structured markup, and social content. – Sammy Boukhris, Sr. Product Operations Program Manager at Bazaarvoice
- By 2019, 141 billion local searches will take place in the US alone. – Steve Beatty, Senior Director Owned Media at iProspect
- Brands that improve their accuracy and reach of location data by only 20% see conversions increase by 216%. – Kyle Johnston, Gigasavvy
- 69% of US smartphone owners say they search at least weekly or more. Moreover, this number skyrockets when you’re looking at younger users. Almost half of those queries on mobile devices have local intent, and 21% have compared prices in-store in the last 3 months. – Jennifer Wise, senior analyst on the marketing team at Forrester Research
- 61% of consumers are more likely to contact a local business if they have a mobile optimized site. – Steve Beatty, Senior Director Owned Media at iProspect citing BrightLocal data
- Snapchat now has 7 billion video views each day, rivaling Facebook. – Joel Comm, author, speaker and social media marketing expert